Saturday, November 12, 2011

No more politics, OK?

OK, enough of politics. Every time I mention anything about O’Bama, I get a ration from former friends about my wrong-headedness. OK, enough of politics. I won’t mention another thing about the community organizer who now is the chief executive of the national government.

Rather, I am going to talk about gardening. Fall and Winter are the times to talk about gardening. Larry, my neighbor, came up today and used his garden tiller attachment to his tractor to run over my gardens for next spring. What I will do now is plant a cover crop that will add some nitrogen to the soil until it goes under the plow next March. I have no less than ten gardens: the Kitchen Garden, the Herb Circle, the Flower Square, the Berry Run, the Strawberry Field, the Spud Ditch, the Squash Plot, the Melon Patch, the Asparagus Bed, and the Corn Bottom. All total, I have over an acre under cultivation.

God, I love this stuff. Growing stuff. Nurturing plants that produce all sorts of fruits. The temps dropped below freezing for a couple of nights. I had no choice but to yank up the tomatoes and the peppers and the eggplants. Thing about the peppers is that there were a number of peppers left on the plants. And, they were good despite the frost. So, I picked them and now am trying to figure out what to do with them. I do have a greenhouse in which I have lettuces and tomatoes. When I was a kid, I took baths in that wash-house that is now the greenhouse.

Looks like I might end up with a job with the Alabama Sustainable Agriculture Network (ASAN). Imagine, somebody is willing to give me a job? If it works out, I will be the Executive Director of the organization. Again, imagine that?

No comments:

Post a Comment