Monday, March 12, 2012

Rainy day in the Deep South

Last year I was certain that my lake would dry up and would become a grassy low spot in the pasture. Now it is full, brimming full in fact. We have had lots of rain. Today, when the ground is saturated, we had almost an inch. Fortunately, it is warm and Spring is certainly in the air. The coming warmer days work well in combating the natural depressant of cloudy, rainy weather.

I had hoped to take off this morning for some time with WitchWoman but cancelled my plans when it was apparent that too many things are up in the air. The Old Goat, my job with ASAN, my personal business affairs, timely planting. Lots of things got in the way. Then, it rained ... again. And, it rained some more. Water is standing in the rows of my gardens. What is a man to do? Naturally, drink heavily. But, because so much education, I don't swill cheap beer or tacky whiskey. No. I imbibe fine wine. Stuff that cost real money. Luckily, it doesn't take much to remove me from drab reality and grainy living.

I spent most the day in brain work. Taking care of every day affairs then turning my attention to my job. The Alabama Legisture, perhaps the worst in the country, is gutting funds for farmers' markets, an act ASAN opposes. Then, there is a bill to set up a fund to reimburse restaurants for purchasing Alabama produced vegetables, fruits and meats. Go figure. Caesar gives and Caesar takss.

I want to talk about my farm but I know what an impossible bore that is. There is really nothing else going on in my life besides growing stuff and working hard every day to live a simple, sincere, serene and solitary life. I am doing my best to become active in my parish. I was elected to the vestry. I am responsible for the parish garden. It is a conservative parish which is fine even thought I have a more expansive interpretation of Jesus' directives.

It is a rainy day here. Nothing worse when all you really want to do is get outside and dig in the dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment