Thursday, August 16, 2012

Recovery

With an easy two-day drive from Kansas City, I am back home. I spent the last ten days under the watchful eyes of WitchWoman who made sure I did nothing more strenuous than read. I feel good albeit a bit lazy. Now it is time for me to figure out what I want to do next. I am going to redirect my farming interests by continuing to grow enough vegetables to feed the immediate area but not for sale. The sheep initiative will move forward but the alliums concentration will not. Improvements to the house beyond cosmetics will probably not happen. I was unsuccessful in attracting my daughter to take up a life here. That makes me wonder what to do with the farm. There is no reason to make any decision immediately, just remain mindful that I am probably the last generation to want to live on this place. After falling out of the saddle with my job with the Alabama Sustainable Ag Network as a result of this cardiac event, I have a boot in the stirrup and should be sitting high and steady soon. It will take a little longer to become fully harnessed than I thought. My concern has been that I might allow myself to become a “cardiac cripple”. The key to avoiding that road is to regain strength, stamina and heart health with daily progress, even if it seems to be slow, almost imperceptible. My blood pressure is perfect, my diet is ideal, my exercise program is appropriate and my head is right. I am going to be fine because I choose to be.

3 comments:

  1. Godspeed on your recovery, Dr. Simpson. You're a good man. NK

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Tom, we had you on the paryer list while you were overseas. I don't think I will call the church secretary just yet to take you off. Just got home and Nanci was telling me about your experiences. At 60 I have been doing some reflection also as to what is important and what is not. Family, friends and life are the top three for me. Different from when we were targets in the shooting gallary, work is simply a means to allow me to do what I really enjoy. Take care, think of you often and if you ever find yourself in need of sanctuary, we have a quite little spot right here.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I felt the plates shift... must have been your return to Welch. You now are painfully aware of what most of us ignore, or kick on down the road until we have to deal with it, and that is this. None of this is forever. While that can be a rude awakening, at times, when I have trod upon that rarified earth, it reminded me to slow down and be in the moment... to drink in life. None of us is promised anything beyond this. As I watch the hummingbirds outside my window in the rainy lantana I am reminded of the moments in each day that are in and of themselves amazing.

    Be well, boy, we love you.

    ReplyDelete