Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Boy Kicks My Ass, Deservedly So

Every so often I write something that is so hopelessly sappy that I deserve to have my ass kicked for writing it. Well, Boy never hesitates to apply the required treatment. What follows is him opening a can of Whop-Ass on my last post. Thanks, Boy. You know I love you.

Quote The Boy:

I write masterpiece comments to your blogs but for some reason they won’t post. I wonder if others have that problem. When I try to post these wonderful tomes I write they simply disappear. So, I’ll try to recreate my post to your last blog.

So, once you mattered. To whom did you matter & what did that mean? Matter to family? In our culture, mattering to family typically means creating income to be spent by our “loving” family members who are too busy with their own lives to pause to consider how someone else matters to them. Matter to your lover? All that should matter to a lover is the warmth created in their heart by simple contact, emotional or physical, not our place in the corporate world. Matter to friends? The fact that you have learned out to “matter” to yourself, the fact you have found joy in planting a new crop, creating the world’s best tomato, lingering over a cup of coffee, taking the dogs for a swim & sitting down exhausted from tilling your soil means you matter to us because you have proven Tom Wolfe wrong.

You have been to funerals, more than you wanted to attend (except perhaps when an enemy or two met their overdue demise). Did you ever observe an ATM machine in any of the caskets so the deceased could access their monetary wealth? I have never witnessed that phenomenon so I think it means that true wealth is in the heart, not the 1st National Bank.

You are living on your Golden Pond. You are exploring what life really means, or at least should mean to people. Perhaps instead looking behind your present state when you “mattered” in your own self esteem, you need to look forward to how you matter in the future. Perhaps, as Thoreau did through his golden pond experience, your inner significance may be best achieved by sharing what life joys can be found in the simpler things through your phenomenal writing ability. After all, the majority of us are too busy “mattering” that we miss living.

Thoreau figured all this out long before we were created:
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.”
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.”
“I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
“I have a great deal of company in my house; especially in the morning, when nobody calls.”
“I too had woven a kind of basket of a delicate texture, but I had not made it worth anyone's while to buy them. Yet not the less, in my case, did I think it worth my while to weave them, and instead of studying how to make it worth men's while to buy my baskets, I studied rather how to avoid the necessity of selling them.”

“Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you,
opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.”

Convert your blogs into columns to be shared with the world. The county seat of Heaven is located in Welch, Alabama.

No comments:

Post a Comment