Monday, January 30, 2012

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Mick Jagger is a god, worthy of praise and adoration. You can't always get what you want but if you try, sometimes, you get what you need. Tell me that is not pure genius. What I have learned in my sorry life is that I am at my best when I live simply and seek those things that are essential and real. Simple stuff, like true love and actual commitment. Jez, how elusive are those things?

The Old Goat and I shared some father-son time today. I drove him to see his dying sister. It was heartbreaking. My aunt gasping for breath, with no clue of she was and who these people were who kept calling her name and asking her inane questions. My Dad cried. The whole scene broke my heart. The Old Goat actually had feelings for somebody other than himself. As we drive to see her, we talked about his childhood and about his father. He was a cruel man. Hard on his kids, eager to take any advantage open to him, not above exploiting any opening. Maybe The Old Goat was an improvement. If so, it had to be the civilizing affect of the Blessed Rebecca.

Spent an enjoyable evening with my friends Jim and Judy. They invited me to join them for dinner while they entertained guest, John and Nicky. What a treat. Great food and wonderful conversation although I think I might have imposed upon the general flow of exchange. Still, it was a much appreciated evening.

If all goes well, the tractor will be back in operation by the end of the week. Assuming we don't have heavy rains, I will spend the end of the week plowing in anticipation of planting onions and potatoes. It is also the time to turn over the parish garden. I want to get the lettuces, cabbage, brussel sprouts and broccoli in as soon as the weather permits.

I spent a couple of days battling privet. Again, assuming the tractor is back in operation this week, I will be able to chip up the slain enemy. I use the chips for middles of my rows in the garden. Mostly, I chip up the privet because I do not like it. I think the bush is a bully and deserves the crushing defeat dealt it at the hands of my chipper. I have lost no sleep over its demise.

Mostly, I am happy with my life. Of course, you don't always get what you want. But, I keep trying and, sure enough, I pretty much get what I need. Mick is a god. And the real God is in heaven, graciously looking over my sorry ass, generally protecting me from myself. Life continues to chug along in the wilds of Alabama.

No comments:

Post a Comment