Monday, May 31, 2010

Trinity Sunday

As if on cue, Father Al used Eucharistic Prayer C today. The lines from that celebratory prayer have been running in my mind all week. It was good to be at Barney’s Church & Bar (also known to the world as St. Barnabas Episcopal Church in Roanoke) today. It is a pretty little church, decorated as one would expect of an Anglican structure – simple, tasteful, dignified. I counted a dozen communicants today but understand that many were on the lake, or visiting relatives, or getting away to New York for a few shows, or jetting to Barbados. Episcopalians are a cosmopolitan bunch, with lots of places to go and people to see. It is easy to see that I am going to be very happy at Barney’s. As I was talking to Father Al this morning, I flashed on a memory from the mid-1980s when I took the job as a city manager in Missouri. I asked my hiring city to provide me with the name and phone number for the Episcopal church. Once in hand, I called the priest and blurted out, “I am heading your way, I want to be a part of your parish, put me on committees, sign me up for service projects, I am ready and eager.” The priest later told me that he about passed out from the enthusiasm and was intimidated by the prospect of my arrival. I tried to be less animated with Father Al today. I transferred “my letter” from Missouri to Barney’s some months ago. Apparently, I have been something of a mystery to the parish secretary who received “my letter” but didn’t believe it. Alabama Anglicans must be a suspicious crowd.

After Mass, the communicants gathered on the church steps to chit-chat. I related that I was leaving for the Southwest Adventure and would not return until mid-July. One of my fellow worshippers commented on a place to stay near the Grand Canyon. I reminded him that I was dragging the Airstream and would not need a hotel. Another offered, in humorous repartee, that there would be “no Marriott for you.” I thought about that comment as I drove home to Welch. A Democrat Episcopalian would offer “no Marriott for you.” A Republican Episcopalian would have said, “No Ritz Carlton for you.” A good earnest Methodist would say, “No Holiday Inn Express for you.” A devote Southern Baptist would say, “No Comfort Inn for you.” A wild-eyed snake-handler would say, “No Motel 6 for you.” And, a tree-arbor evangelical would say, “No back seat at a truck stop for you.” Yet another thing about my fellow Barney-folk is that I spotted several O’Bama bumper stickers on cars in the parking lot, proving that Barney Episcopalians are either politically brave or hopelessly intoxicated.

It is Trinity Sunday and Father Al did a nice job of trying to untangle this deepest of Christian doctrinal knots. Immaculate conception, no problem. Virginal birth, OK, I can accept that. Accession, easy. Resurrection is challenging and requires faith. But, the Trinity is a tough nut to crack. A Bloody Mary before the homily helps in accepting the explanation. It makes more sense that way. While in Iraq, I was asked several times by Muslims how I could believe in a pantheistic religion. I responded that I did not because of the Trinity. Made the mistake of pulling out the Creed of St. Athanasius which brought more confusion to the discussion. Imagine having a discussion of the Trinity filtered through an Arabic translator. That is one of the reasons I was paid hazard pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment