Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Jim

My friend, Jim Spradling, died on Monday. He was a good man. A lawyer, he was the Director of the Missouri Department of Revenue under Governor Bond. I didn’t know him then. We became friends as fellow Episcopalians, fellow political junkies, and fellow teachers.

As Episcopalians, Jim, Carolyn, and I survived the four years of training that is the Education for Ministry program. Every Monday evening we would meet to discuss the week’s readings and implications for our individual work in the world. You get close to somebody with whom you spend so much time. Come to find out, Jim was an ordained Methodist minister, even had a church in his younger days. He migrated to the Episcopalian faith as most people who read eventually do. And Jim was a reader. We swapped titles and reviews. He had a highly spiritual bent to his reading, far more than mine. I remember one year, Jim became fixated on the writings of Pope John Paul. I admired Jim’s genuine intellectual curiosity. He felt he could never read enough. Most are unwilling to entertain such a humbling thought.

As a political junkie, Jim almost won a seat in the State Senate. He missed by a handful of votes. He would have been a remarkable senator. Articulate, thoughtful, clever. He had all the manners of a country preacher in the frame of a Carthagian blue-blood. I was proud to write a few speeches for his campaign. I was very sorry he lost. He would have been an instant success in the Senate. Dignified, eloquent, wise. We, citizens, were the losers.

As fellow teachers, Jim was an adjunct at the university where I worked. He taught intro courses to government. What I liked about it was that I got to spend a few minutes every other day in conversation with Jim. He had a refined sense of humor and keen insights to political events and personalities that I appreciated.

Jim represented me in a couple of legal matters. He was the consummate professional. Yet, he was still my friend. And, he never let me forget it. Jim added to the quality of my life.

Jim’s was a life well lived. I am glad to have made your acquaintance. Good-bye friend.

1 comment:

  1. A touching goodbye. I did not know Jim all that well but I greatly admired him and enjoyed his company. I remember his booming voice and infectious laugh crashing through the department when he adjuncted for us at MSSU. And the stories! My favorite was about peeing on John Ashcroft's roses. Godspeed, Jim.

    ReplyDelete