Thursday, August 26, 2010

Play Day

With Tinker's help, the main concentration of Privet is gone. I have spent the last week (and will spend the next several weeks) cleaning up the stragglers. Even though they are not in concentrated formations now, Privet is still a dangerous and crafty foe. They do not go to the chipper without a fight. I fought with so many of them on Wednesday that I woke up this morning with an aching back. My boss gave me the day off to recover, even filled the truck up with gas. What a guy!

I mentioned that Sambo and I went for a little hike while I visited there last week. It was a lot of fun. With that hike fresh in my mind and having checked out trails in this region earlier in the week, I decided to put foot to path and test-walk the Pinhote Trail today. Figured it would be theraputic for my back, allowing me to stretch out the sore muscles. I jumped off from the Cheaha State Park trailhead and did a south and back hike.

The trailhead at Cheaha State Park.

Wow!

It was great. Up and down the craggy Alabama mountains, with spectacular visas and impressive woodland scenes. The trail was well marked and well maintained. I was on the trail for probably three hours and encountered no other hikers. The weather was warm and I returned to my truck wringing wet but satisfied with the effort.

The Pinhote runs from Weogulfka, Alabama (a crossroads near Flagg Mountain, just south of Sylacauga) to near Blue Ridge, Georgia. I think this is right, the trail is about 300 miles but I don't remember the full distance. I think it would be grand to hike the entire thing, either a piece at a time or all at once. I guess that depends on how else one spends his time. For sure, I have found a great activity that restores my soul and balances my world. Happy trails.


What better invitation could a person have to lace up the boots and go for a walk than this first turn of the trail?

1 comment: