Friday, July 13, 2012

Health Care

My big, fat retirement from the University does not include health insurance. For a while after I left the ivy-covered halls of Academe, I had insurance through the State Department. But, now that is gone and I am left exposed. Now that there are couple of issues I need to address (a small case of skin cancer and some cardiac-related issues), I am forced to look at my options. Getting conventional insurance is not an option since the cardiac issue is pre-existing. I have been turned down by some of America’s “best” companies. Many years ago, I served in the US military and, as a result, am entitled to benefits from the Veterans’ Administration. So, I have begun the arduous task of scaling the monolith that is socialized medicine in the VA. It has been nothing short of a nightmare so far. After six months of forms and applications and visits, I have yet to get an appointment. Even when I do succeed in getting to see a so-called health care professional, I have co-pay requirements that might break the bank. I write all of this in the midst of the national discussion of the Affordable Care Act. My conclusions are that if the VA is anything like what will happen under the ACA, it will be slow, cumbersome, bureaucratic and not free. And, I have not even addressed the issue of effectiveness. I have yet to learn how effective VA care is since I have spent the last six months filling out forms and signing privacy statements acknowledging that the VA will not share my age, my sexual preference or my race with anyone. Let me take care of those right now: I am 61, diminished heterosexual, and white. OK, there. One of the talking points of the health care debate has to do with rationing. The health care system can provide a finite number of services. Some have argued that the ACA will ration services. Well, if the VA is a model, then there is rationing. I am in Priority Group 6. That means that veterans who have a 10% disability or more, former POWs, Purple Heart winners, Medal of Honors recipients, no-income veterans, addicted and unemployed vets all have priority to me when it comes to getting appointments with so-called health care providers. I am just a veteran. I did not get shot. I did not win heroic medals. I just did my time, did my job, and got out and on with my life. Why did I not develop some post-traumatic stress? I had a great time in the service. Met lots of interesting people and saw places I would have not seen on my own. The little skin cancer is getting out of hand so I called today to inquire if I was any closer to getting an appointment. I talked to an answering machine and did not receive a return call even though I left a carefully crafted message, well-articulated and clearly delivered. I apologize if I sound a little bitter about this experience. Our political leadership, on both sides, has failed to seriously consider the consequences of the availability of health care on the ordinary American. I think the ACA is as well designed as the anti-poverty programs of the 1960s. And, I think ardent opposition to addressing the issue is an attempt to resurrect the Know-Nothings of the 1850s. I recognize that I should have to pay more for health insurance than a studly 20-something. At least give me the opportunity to make the calculation as to my ability to pay the price for it instead of summarily excluding me from eligibility because I have the genes I have and have lived six decades. Sometimes I get the feeling we are quietly but cruelly criminalizing aging.

1 comment:

  1. Even a quasi studly 20-something like myself is getting fleeced by this rubik's cube of a healthcare system. It is now officially cheaper for me to personally negotiate service rates with the hospital than it is to use an insurance company as my advocate. That would be fine if I were only held accountable for my own healthcare purchases -- but I am still paying for the legions of those who don't feel like they need to kick in even a sawbuck to get to the front of the line at the ER. turn on, tune in, opt out.

    ReplyDelete