Friday, July 6, 2012

Wild Journals

Some time ago, I started keeping journals on the wild animals around the place. I have a journal on birds, journals on foxes, coyotes, turkeys, deer, interesting insects, snakes, and today I added a journal on muskrats. Every time I spot one of these critters, I annotate the appropriate journal with a description and the behavior I noted. I eschew word processing for such a venture, instead relying on old fashioned hand writing in an anachronistic book. I have no idea why I do it. It is not like I am making scientific inquiry or adding to the environmental historical record. It just seems to me that something ought to be said when a wild creature rubs up against us. Today’s journal entries had to do with a muskrat that makes the shallow end of the lake home. Considerably bigger than a field mouse, a muskrat is a creature of both size and weight. The little devils burrow homes into the banks of the lake. Also of note today, my duck has a companion, a wood duck. I have no idea if the visitor is male or female or whether it is a visitor or a new resident. I do know from observation that my duck likes the company. The two of them are rarely far apart as they forage the shallows for food. I hope the wood duck sticks around for awhile. Can’t help but wonder about the ducks’ conversation. All of the wilds are reacting to the heat and the lack of rain. The turkeys are staying close to the water. The snakes are venturing all over the place. I spotted two yesterday. Hot weather to them is like alcohol to a teenager. Makes them do stuff that often proves to be self-destructive.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tom, I hadn't realized that you are blogging again. I have been having fun catching up and reading your posts.

    You have so many friends and former students on Facebook who would love to know what you are up to. I wonder if you have thought of linking your Facebook and blog accounts? That is what I did and it is dead simple. I use a FB app called Networked Blogs (https://www.facebook.com/networkedblogs) and now when I blog, a link appears on my FB page.

    Hope this finds you well, I was quoting you just this morning to someone.

    ReplyDelete