Sunday, May 13, 2012

Expecting too much

In my morning prayers this morning at Mass, I asked that God give me a word of direction for my life. I petitioned the God of Hosts to give my priest, the very lovely Father Al, the words that would give me direction, words that would set my path on the right path. After my prayers, I settled in for the appreciated and comforting liturgy. To my surprise, Father Al did not deliver. There was nothing in his homily that spoke to me. It was all about mothers and Moses’ mother and Solomon and stuff that did not speak to me. It was most disappointing to me. After Mass, I realized that my “demand” that God perform was arrogant, as usual. I am left to my own devices, just as God intended. All I really want is some direction. But, supposing that it would come to me serendipitously is absurd. Father Al had no idea that I had laid such a burden on him nor would he have responded if he had. To carry the disappointment even further, The Old Goat assumed that I had forgotten about him today. He drove to my house to ask about lunch. At the same time, I was preparing sauce for spaghetti, from scratch. He was convinced that I had forgotten him. It demonstrate show I don’t get much credit for the care I provide him. The Old Goat transmits his wishes through Tinker who seems particularly attuned to his needs. I guess I never developed the sensitivity to TOG’s inner most thoughts. Nor do I plan to develop such sensitivity. One of the ladies in my church used eggs she bought from me to make deviled eggs. She brought them to church today and after Mass a number of us boys gathered around the snack table to scarf up the delicious offerings. The deviled eggs and the finger bologna sandwiches went fast. Pretty good stuff. Making deviled eggs out of really fresh eggs is difficult. The lady who made them told me that she punches a hole in the eggs before she boils them. That way, they peel easily. I will give it a try. You try it and let me know if it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment