Thursday, May 17, 2012

Strange signs

I am perplexed by strange signs that appeared today. These are signs that might portend something is out of the ordinary in Welch. The first was at breakfast. I cracked a particularly large brown egg that I gathered from my chickens early this morning. What appeared but a two yoke egg. It was delicious. But, does it mean something? Two-yoke eggs are fairly rare. Here I picked one out of the morning haul and was treated to this pleasing sight. Surely this must mean something good. Then, a little after 7 am, the ever-faithful and vigilant Daisy, veteran guard dog she is, raised all sorts of hell when workmen appeared on the highway side of the property. Naturally, I hiked up to determine their intent and method. Come to find out they are from Charter Communications and are installing fiber optic cable up and down the highway. In a few short months, I will have high speed internet, multi-channel cable and crystal clear telephone services delivered to my home should I decide to subscribe. Internet is a problematic feature out here in the country. The way I access the cyber-super highway is through an air card for which I pay a premium each month. Even then, the air card provides weak connectivity and is not reliable. Access to high speed fiber optics will be a welcomed addition to country living. The third and final sign occurred a few minutes ago as I was enjoying an adult beverage on the back deck while delighting in a chorus of frogs and crickets as the fireflies buzzed in the pasture. I thought for a moment that there was lightening in the distance but there is a distinct lack of clouds this evening. After an initial moment of confusion, I remembered that workmen are putting the final touches on a cell tower at the other end of the big curve on the highway. Less than a quarter of a mile from my house, a new tower now stands and atop it is a beacon. What I thought was lighting is that very same beacon putting out a warning flash to air traffic. For me, it was as if a storm was brewing. So, what to make of these strange occurrences? Double yokes, fiber optic connectivity and improved cell telephone services. Is change crashing in on Welch? Is the world turning without me noticing? Is it the end or the beginning? If you get up every day and pay a little attention to stuff happening around you, it is amazing what you will find. I guess I should include in my list of astonishments today that I found the corn I planted three weeks ago is coming up as is the okra. Neither was expected. In fact, I discovered the corn sprouts when I was preparing to replant the rows. There it was, about an inch high, green and fresh, full of Nature’s desire to live on. Same for the okra. I have never been successful in producing much okra. If even half of this survives I will be wrapped up in the stuff in a month or so. What to make of all this? A priest of mine years ago told me that the early church never questioned miracles, rather they focused on what they meant. By contrast, modern man questions the very existence of miracles. I am not saying that what happened today was miraculous. I just wonder what all these strange things mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment