Saturday, June 16, 2012

Cucumber Salad

After 130-something posts, I got my first request to re-run something. What a treat! Just when you think all you are doing is throwing bottles with messages into the ocean, somebody actually says “howdy.” I am not going to complain that the request was for a recipe, rather than some of my sharp social commentary. A request is a request. And here it is. Here is what I am doing with the bumper crop of cucumbers this year. I picked up this recipe from Mollie Katzen’s, Moosewood Cookbook. The book was a gift from The Deb and I have worn it into a dog-eared, page-stained treasure. Balkan Cucumber Salad 4 medium cucumbers ¾ c sour cream ¾ c yogurt 2 cloves crushed garlic 4 fresh mint leaves, minced ½ c very thinly sliced red onion (Don’t use any other kind of onion. Red is the only kind that works raw this way.) ¼ c very finely chopped parsley ¼ c minced scallion greens 1 tsp salt Lots of black pepper 1 Tbsp freshly chopped dill 1 c toasted walnuts (I use sunflower kernels) Peel and slice the cucumbers (unless they are home-grown and unwaxed, in which case, don’t peel them). Combine all ingredients except walnuts (or sunflower kernels). Chill thoroughly and serve on a bed of fresh, crisp greens, with walnuts (or sunflower kernels) on top. Garnish lavishly with hard cooked egg slices or tomato wedges, chopped black olives, or carrot slices, or all four. Enjoy. Keep those cards and letters coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment