Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Some Days

Some days are better than others. Today was one of the good ones. Couple of good things happened with my little group of sustainable farmers. I was happy to be a part of it. These type of days makes the bad ones fade. Like a good golf shot. All it takes to bring you back to the links is one good shot. As soon as the ball leaves the blade of the club, and you know it is going to go as far as you had hoped and will land right where you hoped, well, it makes you forget the dozens of muffs and scalps and shanks. That one good shot brings you back to play again. Today renews my energy and my spirit and makes me look forward to tomorrow. I have to be careful writing about good things because it makes me think that things are good when, I know, we are all doomed and it is only a matter of time until the sky falls. I am happy to report that The End is forestalled for at least one day. Today was a good one. So much so that getting up tomorrow now makes sense. You would think that as we get older, life would become simpler, easier to navigate. After all, few things happen that you have not seen before. Problem is that now I see all the ramifications that will follow events. So, I know that as good as today was, there will be a balancing day that will be perfectly dreadful. That is the good-bad, black-white, in-out, the ying-yang of life. All you can really hope for is a balance, what some have called the golden mean. All that really means is that life is essentially mediocre. The logical way to approach good and bad days is with a casual indifference so as not to be disappointed. I admit that I have a hard time with that approach. I really love the highs you get from great days. Likewise, I wallow in the blues on the days that are down. Chemicals might help. I only have the courage to use beer, sometimes Scotch, to even out living. But even those wonder drugs have limits. Even after a bender, there is life. You can run, but you cannot escape. So, enjoy the good ones, endure the bad ones. And, hope that occasionally you have one that will bring you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment