Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dodge City

The drive to Dodge City was about 340 miles through storms and winds. The Airstream cuts the wind well but it is, after all, a block of metal cruising down the highway. Makes for some uncomfortable driving. The first order of business upon arrival, after a quick set-up, was a visit to Wal-Mart to purchase a ShopVac. Why? I failed to open the gray water drain valve. That and a leaking shower head spelled trouble. Flooded the carpet in the trailer. The ShopVac picked up a lot of it. I opened the windows and turned on the fans in hopes of drying the place out. It was a stupid mistake on my part -- all part of the learning curve. While at Wal-Mart, I left the lights on inside the Airstream, thinking that the power cord was properly connected. It was properly connected, but I failed to flip the right switch which meant that the lights were on using battery power. When I discovered the error, it was easily fixed, a second disaster averted. This litte trailer is kicking my PhD ass and teaching me some fundamental lessons in humility.

Today is all about Marshall Dillon, Miss Kitty, Chester, Doc, and Festus. In fact, the place I am parked is the Gunsmoke RV Park, nice place. South of here is Jacob's Well, a monument to the original prairie, complete with bison. Just east is Greensburg, a town destroyed by a category 5 tornado several years ago. It is rebuilding and hopeful. It is also home to the world's largest hand-dug well. Wow, what a sight. To the west is Garden City. These places dot the Arkansas River Valley, a place of considerable academic interest to me. I would like to write on the subject and plan another trip out here at some point. I am lingering here for a few days mostly because I like it.

There is not way I am getting out of Dodge without a new Stetson.

2 comments:

  1. Make sure it is a fit for bobbin' Stetson!

    Boy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - found a story about your "home" state that I thought might interest you. Try this address: http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/2010/architecture-of-decency/

    Hope you are having a GREAT time!

    ReplyDelete