Monday, June 14, 2010

New Friends

Yesterday was a delight. Took the train up to Sliverton. On the train, I met some of the nicest people with whom one could travel. Sitting in the next seat was Ginny and Tony from New Jersey. Great conversation, interesting discoveries, intriguing themes. Ginny was at two of the most important events in my generation – Woodstock in 1969 and the Twin Towers in 2001. Can you imagine? When you think of those milestone events of a generation, Ginny could have had a trifecta if she had been in Deley Plaza in 1963.

On the way back to Durango, struck up a conversation with Doug and Beth. From Indiana. Another enjoyable conversation. Come to find out, Doug and I are the same age – I mean the same age, as in the same birthday, year and all. We both turn 60 this October. Then, we found out that Tony turns 60 at the end of November this year.

I like traveling to see beautiful places. But, more, I enjoy meeting interesting people. When you fall into natural and easy conversation with another, it demonstrates to you why you break the bonds of the mundane and move. The rewards are psychic, I guess, but yesterday is the reason I hitched up the Airstream. I have always been a reader and, through books, have traveled the world. The thing missing from that form of travel, though, is the warmth and openness of new-found friends. I hope I see Ginny and Tony and Doug and Beth again. It would a pleasure to see how they handle retirement, how their kids fare, what projects and notions they pursue. My life is enriched by a day with them.

By the way, here’s the new Stetson.

2 comments:

  1. Now that's a bobbin' stetson!! By the way, we got 10+ inches of rain last Thursday. The lake is full waiting for your arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We talk about the cool people we met on the Durango train all the time. We will be in touch, don't worry. This story is just beginning.

    ReplyDelete