Friday, June 11, 2010

Over the Pass

What moron would let me loose in an Airstream in the American southwest? I monkeyed around with the sewer until a guy who cuts grass here at the RV park in Durango showed me how to connect it in about ten seconds. Then, I screwed around with the awning until finally seeking counsel from a YouTube video on how to set the thing up. Driving across Wolf Creek Pass all I could think about was Ricky Ricardo and Lucille Ball in the Long Trailer. I wondered if my hometown paper, the Roanoke Leader, would report my death as a tragic accident or as an episode of Jackass. What was he thinking barreling down Wolf Creek Pass? Didn't he know that the laws of physics apply to travel trailers? By sheer luck and all the caution I could muster, I am in southwest Colorado. Alive, for now.

The Rockies are incredible. I am writing this wearing a jacket since it is a bit nippy here. I am driving down to the Indian ruins at Chaco Canyon in the morning and plan to be in Durango for a rodeo. Bought a ticket for the train ride up to Silverton on Sunday -- that is an all day affair. Then on to Monumnet Valley on Tuesday.

The trip from Dodge City to Walsenburg was uneventful. I discovered that the emergency braking wire was broken so I bought a new one from an RV repair shop there. Discovered that the part he sold me was itself broken and, when installed, cut all the lights to the Airstream. Messed with it for a while and used part of the old wire and new wire to make a useable one. It seems to have worked.

The place I stayed last night in Walsenburg was bizarre. There were only two travelers in the so-called park. The grass almost enveloped the trailer and the truck. I left the rig hooked up to the truck all night and at first light hit the road. Don't think I will be returning to Walsenburg anytime soon. Durango, however, is a different deal. Nice. Lots of campers here and a well maintained park. The town in unique. It seems prosperous and alive. I spent the afternoonn downtown. It has much to offer. Almost shelled out money for another Stetson but restrained myself. If I were a skier, I would visit here often.

The sheer grandeur of the place is impressive. Being here makes the death-defying trip over Wolf Creek Pass worth it.

There are a couple of pictures of Jacob's Well in Kansas, one of the prettiest places I have ever seen. One of them is of a herd of buffalo that I found stunning. The other is my take on Kate and Leoarndo's stunt on the Titanic. The picture does not show it but the wind howls at about 30 miles an hour all the time. If I had had wings, I could have flown. Beautiful place.



No comments:

Post a Comment