Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lady Friend

The Old Goat has a lady friend. Imagine, an 85-year-old-man acting like a teenager. He visits her every afternoon. He used to visit her after dinner which is why he insisted that we dine at 4 pm. Well, Tinker and I double-teamed him to force a later hour for dinner. We now gather at 6 pm. So, from 3 pm until 5:30, he goes visiting. The lady is also in ther eighties.

I have no way of knowing how lonely The Old Goat's life must be. The Blessed Saint Rebecca was his world. When she died, unexpectedly, it is devastating. He floundered badly. But, as she used to say all the time, a man who can't take care of himself is worthless. So, Dad took care of himself. He still does. I know he must be lonely. And, I know that he must feel as if he is cheating on the Blessed Saint by seeing somebody else. He is, after all, a pretty devote guy.

Tinker and I are of different minds on this issue. I generally support him seeing this woman. Tinker thinks she is sissifying him. Making him act older and more feeble. I suspect that he is not acting feeble but is, in fact, feeble. My God, he is in his eighties. Nevertheless, we both accommodate his romance knowing that not much will come of it. If it gives The Old Goat and his lady friend pleasure, good for them. A little happiness is damn hard enough to come by in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment