Saturday, July 10, 2010

Trees on Wild Ass Acres

I've talked about the trees on the land quite a bit so I thought I would show you some of them. The Southern Yellow Pine is the most ubiquitous. Hard to swing a wet cat without hitting one. Long-term the pines are money in the bank assuming I have the heart to chop them down and sell them. That is not a foregone conclusion.





Couple of happy discoveries include this one, maples. I've found a number of them struggling under the yoke of Privet oppression. Once freed and given access to sunlight, the maples flourish. This surprises me since I associate maples with colder climates. I am unsure of the variety but I think it is either the soft yellow or red maple. For sure, it is not the trashy silver maple that is more weed than tree. Every time I discover a maple, it is a particular pleasure to whack down its competitors and give it a leg-up on survival.





A tree that gets instant respect and protection is an oak. There are a number of varieties of oaks on the land. I have counted half a dozen so far including water oak, pin oak, white oak, red oak, and turkey oak. This one is a particular favorite of mine and will be a hallmark of Wild Ass Acres in the decades to come.





During the heat of the Privet Wars, I noticed some strange leaves fighting for air among the thick Privet. After the successful destruction of the Privet command structure and its headquarters, I found this locust defying all odds at survival among the heathens. It is a prickly little tree with sharp torns protruding from truck and limbs. The leaves are willowy things that look playful in the breeze. The tree has bean-pods that give it an exotic look. Glad to have this hearty tree in the mix.





This is a beautifully shaped poplar with large pale green leaves and a light gray bark. It is one of those trees that you build around. The plan is to remove competitors from its immediate area to allow it to spread to its full potential.


The undisputed king of the trees on the property is this grand old pecan. It is over forty feet tall and will serve the shade for afternoon cocktail parties and fall tailgates and campfires.



Often called pioneer trees, here is an example of the countless sweet gums on the land. I intend to keep a number of them. They do make a nice fall palette with oranges and reds. If I cut half of them down, I would still have too many. I've cut strategically in order to give them ample space for spreading.





Another trashy tree that I sort of like in small doses is cedar. I have kept a number of them. They usually sprout up along side another tree so they are rarely found well shaped. This one struck me as a keeper so I cleared away other competitors to give it a chance to shine.



No tour of the place would be complete without a look at the enemy. This is the notorious Privet. It is the siren of weeds. It is an attractive plant. It attracts the birds and gives wildlife cover. But, it is so aggressive that it crowds out other plants. It is in the same vein as kudzu, an invasive specie that quickly wears out Southern hospitality. As idealistic as it sounds, I am on a quest to rid the land of ALL the Privet. One plant remaining is an invitation to all of its relatives. Practically overnight Privet can own the land.



Not pictured here are the dogwoods, the serviceberries, sassafrass, hickories, and what I think to be hawthornes. Discovering these little gems is half the fun of hacking away at the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment