Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Autumn's Here

Autumn arrived a few minutes ago. The steady and depressing descent into winter begins. In anticipation, I stocked up on Vitamin D. A friend of mine told me that it helps with Seasonal Affective Disorder, SAD for short. It plagues me. Every year about this time, I can feel it start. I withdraw. By mid-winter, I am sullen, depressed and desperate. My friend went on to advise that in addition to taking Vit D, I need to eat right, drink less, and get plenty of exercise. This is the year that I beat SAD. I have a sufficient supply of flannel shirts and long underwear for outdoor activities. I’ve told the guy who owns the liquor store where I shop not to be offended if I make fewer visits until spring. There is plenty of privet to be prosecuted. And, I have flexibility. That is important since I might need an emergency trip or two to the beach. If you note that I am slipping under the surface, it will not hurt my feelings if you shout an email at me. Now, I know SAD is a made-to-order Oprah disease. And, trust me, I am embarrassed that I have it. My original plan was to move to the Gulf for a couple of months this winter. That would be easy since I have the Airstream. But, honestly, like I am moving to the beach for two months on account of my mental condition, leaving The Old Goat and Tinker here to take care of the place and each other. How selfish is that? If I had a real job that required me to move, that would be different. Moving because I am depressed is just too silly to admit. This is the winter that I sail through, chin up, jackass-eating-briars grin on my face, and content with where and whom I am. Now, if you will excuse me, I am popping a handful of Vit D then doing a few dozen push-ups.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen your "jackass-eating-briers grin" a few times on the links!

    ReplyDelete