Monday, September 27, 2010

Fresh Wind

I am on the bone pile for the job in Chattanooga. It is maddening not to even make the interview round. It is maddening and humbling and hurtful. I wonder if I will ever work again. If I were asked to write the perfect job description for me, it would be the job in Chattanooga. Well, shucks! During a particularly painful family dinner on Sunday, a nephew gave me a job announcement for the executive director of the Lagrange Symphony Orchestra. What? I thought about it and did two things today: first, I bought a season ticket to the LSO; and, second, I hand delivered an application packet this afternoon. Now the question is, do I really want to do this? The simple answer is, I don’t know. What I do know is that I see the balance in my banking accounts declining and there is no income. Maybe I don’t recognize retirement when I see it and if this is it, I don’t like it.

I feel a “fresh wind blowing against the empire” as Grace Slick sang. I know in my bones that I am not done. It may turn out that I am exactly what the Lagrange Symphony needs. Or, there is something I have yet to identify waiting for me. I have prayed earnestly for meaning and I have no doubt that something will appear. I just have to have patience. I do believe, as the Baptists, that you have to put wings to your prayers. It is not enough to just pray. You have to take responsibility and do something. I honestly believe that God will ask, what did you do for yourself? I don’t want to be the one who says, “I waited on you.”

1 comment:

  1. Still reading your posts, and still caring for you, through these times....

    ReplyDelete