Tuesday, September 28, 2010

More Plurals

All the talk of plurals the other day got me thinking about plurals for human groups. Failing to find a good catalogue of them, I thought that I would offer some of my own.

A single painter is fine but a brush of painters is always better. But, we should not overlook a crack of plumbers, a board of carpenters, and a wall of bricklayers.

Who can resist a pot of chefs or a swish of florists?

If you have ever been around a farmer then you know that when you get several together what you have is a subsidy of farmers.

I was once a part of a lecture of professors. But, not anymore. Now I would like to be a part of a neurosis of novelists. Most of us wanted to be part of a blast of astronauts when we were kids.

Most of us deal with a nightmare of in-laws at some point.

Professionally, there is a fret of guitarists, a buzz of barbers, a deal of realtors, a collection of preachers, and a treatment of nurses.

Then there is an investigation of defense contractors, a campaign of politicians, a profit of bankers, a lemon of car dealers, an intoxication of drunks, and an indictment of lawyers.

1 comment: